We went to see the musical "Wicked" on Wednesday night. Ryan and I have seen it twice before (on Broadway and in Chicago). We absolutely love it, so we really wanted our girls to see it when it made it's first run in Salt Lake. They have loved the music for as long as I have. In fact, for Halloween of 2004, Katie was Elphaba (the Witch of the West) and Lauren was Glinda. The girls loved it! It was so fun to take them. I just hope they appreciated it! My brother, two of my sisters, and my mom also went with us. We had a great time.
The funnest person to take was my mom. She was so excited to be able of figure out the "real" story of the Wizard of Oz. Her eyes were lit up with enthusiasm. She had heard the music before, but it was fun to see her put it all together in her mind. She was very cute!

What is also cute is the fact that Ryan was the first one to discover this fun musical. I remember back in 2004, Ryan came home from work talking about a new musical he had heard of that was coming to New York called Wicked. He said he thought it would be fun if we could go. Wicked? It sounded so naughty. New York? Are you kidding? Honey, we live in Utah...and how would we pay for a trip like that? So he didn't say too much more about it.

But he surprised me for our ninth anniversary with a weekend trip to the Big Apple. Well, sort of surprised me. It seems I always find out about my surprises...much to my dismay (I actually like to be surprised). My cute neighbor was supposed to be watching my mailbox because the Wicked tickets were coming in the mail (Ryan couldn't get them to ship the tickets to his office). She failed and I found them. When he came home from work, I asked him about the tickets. I still was not very enthusiastic about going to something called "Wicked" anyway, but had no idea that it was for a BROADWAY show. I guess I just thought that it was coming here. He explained that we were going to drive the kids down to St. George and have Grandma watch the kids and fly to NY from Vegas....WHAT!!???!! We are going to NEW YORK!!??!?!? I was floored! Ryan then felt bad that he had let the rest of the surprise out of the bag. Oh well, just par for the course. What a sweetie!
We listened to the music for the first time on our way down to St. George, and I loved it!! Everything about New York was great, but Wicked was the best! We got to see it with most of the original cast, including Idina Menzel as Elphaba...WHOA!!! Good times. Ever since then, rarely a month goes by that I don't listen to the music on my Ipod. I can't say that for most music...I have different musical moods, but I'm always up for a little "Wicked". I love the fact that my sweetheart husband first discovered this fun musical!!



No comments:
Post a Comment