A couple of weeks ago, someone stole almost $300 from my purse. The whole family was out and about waiting to go to dinner for Ryan and Katie's birthday. We decided to kill some time by going to RC Willey and look around. After overstaying our welcome, we packed the kids in the car and headed for the Spaghetti Factory. After about 15 minutes in the car, I realized that I didn't have my purse. We had used one of the rickety old strollers that RC Willey provides to restrain Ethan from jumping on every couch and bed in the place. At one point, Ryan took over stroller duty and when we left, didn't realize my purse was hanging off of the stroller. I hadn't had it on my shoulder for a while, so I didn't think about it either. The drive back to the store was very nerve racking. I had gotten out some cash the day before to live on for the next little while and worried about it being there when I got back.
As I ran into the store, the greeter said that they had had a purse turned in just a few minutes before. I went to the customer service counter, and what do you know? My purse was there. I was so relieved....until I looked in my wallet. All of my cash was gone! I felt sick! After discussing the problem with management, they concluded that an employee had found the purse and turned it in. I argued that the employee must have taken my money. The manager informed me there was no way to prove that because the purse wasn't always on their surveillance cameras. A customer could have easily taken the money out of my wallet before the employee found it. Yeah, right. I left feeling frustrated, discouraged, and violated.
I tried to enjoy the birthday festivities, but worried about fraud, making it to the end of the month on $300 less than expected, and the person who took my money...But I realized how blessed I was and that in the grand scheme of things, it's only money, and money doesn't matter. I knew we would somehow make it finacially, we could fix any fraud issues, and was glad that I have at least a little bit of integrity.
But there is an interesting twist to this story....When we came home that night, we stopped by our mailbox and found the most interesting letter. It was from the company who manages my student loan debt. The letter informed me that because I had been such a great customer and had managed my account so well, they were forgiving the remaining balance on the loan...almost $600!! I couldn't believe it. Someone was forgiving my debt?!!? Who DOES that in this day and age??!!? I was elated!
I received the official letter in the mail today stating that my account has been paid in full!! It brought back the sweet memory. It might seem like a strange and coincidental thing that these two events happened on the same day, but I don't think so. I think I was blessed for paying my tithing and fast offerings, being responsible with my money, and not freaking out too much over the theft. Call it what you want, but I consider it a miracle.
As I ran into the store, the greeter said that they had had a purse turned in just a few minutes before. I went to the customer service counter, and what do you know? My purse was there. I was so relieved....until I looked in my wallet. All of my cash was gone! I felt sick! After discussing the problem with management, they concluded that an employee had found the purse and turned it in. I argued that the employee must have taken my money. The manager informed me there was no way to prove that because the purse wasn't always on their surveillance cameras. A customer could have easily taken the money out of my wallet before the employee found it. Yeah, right. I left feeling frustrated, discouraged, and violated.
I tried to enjoy the birthday festivities, but worried about fraud, making it to the end of the month on $300 less than expected, and the person who took my money...But I realized how blessed I was and that in the grand scheme of things, it's only money, and money doesn't matter. I knew we would somehow make it finacially, we could fix any fraud issues, and was glad that I have at least a little bit of integrity.
But there is an interesting twist to this story....When we came home that night, we stopped by our mailbox and found the most interesting letter. It was from the company who manages my student loan debt. The letter informed me that because I had been such a great customer and had managed my account so well, they were forgiving the remaining balance on the loan...almost $600!! I couldn't believe it. Someone was forgiving my debt?!!? Who DOES that in this day and age??!!? I was elated!
I received the official letter in the mail today stating that my account has been paid in full!! It brought back the sweet memory. It might seem like a strange and coincidental thing that these two events happened on the same day, but I don't think so. I think I was blessed for paying my tithing and fast offerings, being responsible with my money, and not freaking out too much over the theft. Call it what you want, but I consider it a miracle.


Wow! How great is that? Gotta love those little miracles.
ReplyDelete