Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

The "unofficial-official" start of summer is upon us. That three-day weekend that signals that the end of school is near. The hint that the times of sleeping in, yummy watermelon, swimming, eating popsicles, and Lagoon are fast approaching. I can't believe how fast it got here!

Our weekend was pretty uneventful. Ryan and I are trying to get ready for Trek in just a few short weeks, so we headed up the mountain again to Adams Canyon on Friday night. I'm trying to break in my new hiking boots really good before Trek. It was a lovely evening and several campfires were blazing up there. I absolutely love the smell of campfires! With all the calories we burned heading up the mountain, I insisted that we replenish them with a hot molten chocolate fudge cake from Applebees afterwards....delicious!!

Saturday, we did some house and yard work, went shopping for pioneer clothes (we were unsuccessful--we are going to be scantily clad pioneer folk unless we get a move on), and then went to the Ward temple night. It is a tradition to always stop at Farr's Ice Cream after a ward temple outing. I enjoyed a scoop of Moose Tracks on a sugar cone....again, delicious!!

Sunday was a lazy day. Those are few and far between around here. We are usually going to parents' houses or hosting a dinner at ours. Today, we just stayed home, had a yummy dinner of Chicken Cordon Bleu, and played "Trouble" with the kids. No delicious dessert, though!

Monday, we threatened the kids within an inch of their season passes that if they didn't get their chores done, there would be no Lagoon this year. I was half-way hoping they wouldn't complete their tasks. Passes are so expensive, but on the other hand, we have so much fun going as a family, and a lot of our friends and family have passes, too. So, with a clean house on my thoughts, we packed up and headed over to the fun spot. It wasn't too crowded for a Memorial Day, but we didn't get much accomplished in the rides department. "Wicked" closed while we were waiting in line, so we moved on. Then the train shut down while waiting for that one. Hmmmm....shaky beginning to the season, but that's OK, we only went for a few hours and got to go on the Tilt-a-Whirl, so it's all good.

We hurried home for a BBQ at our house. I love having everyone over. We grilled and had yummy salads and fresh fruit. My dad and Denise went out and played catch and Braiden had to join in. How cute! It brought back memories of when I was that age playing catch with him.
And here is a cute picture of Aunt Karol and my grandma. My grandma was never without her camera at family functions like this for as long as I can remember, taking pictures non-stop despite our protests. Since her stroke, she doesn't take pictures anymore. As I was snapping this picture, she expressed her frustration at being photographed while eating. I told her I was simply taking over her role...turn about is fair play, Grandma!!
And, to continue the theme of the weekend, we ended with my favorite summertime dessert. That ultimate symbol of summer...Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler. It was (do I have to say it?).....very delicious!!



No comments:

Post a Comment