Monday, June 1, 2009

I Didn't Say Anything Really Stupid!

We had a fun weekend as a family. After Memorial Day, we didn't get to see much of Ryan because he's so swamped at work. The kids really missed him and so did I. So he promised to ban work for the whole weekend! On Friday, we had planned a date night. We went out to dinner with friends from Ryan's firm. We were supposed to also go to the new Draper Temple and do a session, but we didn't....because of, you may have guessed, crazy work issues. But that's OK, we still got to see our friends. I absolutely love these guys. Ry gets along so well with them at work, and the wives have hit it off as well. In fact, we are constantly hanging out with one of the couples, and we met up with the other couple in Disneyland the last two times we've been there. So we ended up going to Goodwood for dinner and then to one of their houses for ice cream. It was a really fun night. AND I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING REALLY STUPID!

I know.....that last comment deserves an explanation. So here it is....last year, the six of us were at the Partners' Retreat up in Midway. We stayed overnight at the Zermatt Resort, had dinner, and had a blast going on different outings. So, while at dinner, we were talking about politics. It was in September and the Republican National Convention had just taken place. We were all discussing the introduction of Sarah Palin to the national spotlight. Now, I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I follow politics and was enjoying the conversation. But then, I said the STUPIDEST thing! We were talking about Sarah Palin and someone observed how beautiful she is and if that will affect the campaign in any way.



So I opened my mouth and said, "Well, I saw people at the RNC wearing 'Hooters for Palin' pins! Isn't that weird?"


..................short, awkward pause...................


"No Jen," my friend Rod said, "I believe it was 'Hoosiers for Palin' as in Indiana University Hoosiers"


OOOPS! I was so embarrassed!!! What was I thinking! Did the word "Hooters" actually come out of my mouth!?!!?! I had honestly thought, at the time, that was what the pins had said. I had seen old men wearing these pins, staring at Palin, mesmerized. I had thought it was so tacky and the thought didn't cross my mind that it said Hoosiers (in my defense, the pins were pretty small!) But to even say that in front of my very smart friends and their cute wives was humiliating. I actually worried about it for a while afterwards, like weeks!!


A few short months later, I knew that the firm Christmas party was coming up, and that we would all be sitting together talking, and began worrying about it again. I reminded Ryan about it and told him I didn't want these friends to think I was a freak. He had totally forgotten about it and laughed and laughed. He talked to Rod about it the next day and he had forgotten about it as well. They both thought I was very funny. I felt so much better after that. The Christmas party went off without a hitch (though I don't remember saying too much!).


So back to this weekend, we had another fun discussion and I even made intelligent contributions to the conversation!! I was very proud of myself! I can now laugh about that crazy moment last year, but I certainly didn't think it was so funny at the time!


OK, on with the weekend's events. On Saturday, we finally had Katie's birthday party.....


Ummm, her birthday is in April......


Yes, I know it is May 3oth.....What's your point?


Better late than never, right?


I kept hoping she would forget about it, but of course that didn't happen. So, I took ten girls to Swan Lake Mini Golf course. We had a blast! I've decided that I'm pretty good at mini golfing (or at least I was that day)! We then came home and ate pizza. Katie has some really cute friends. Afterwards, I was reading all of the cards she got from them and they all said, without exception, that she was a great friend. It was heart warming to think that her friends think of her in this way!


Saturday night, we took the kiddos to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. It was beautiful inside and out. This was the first time that the boys have ever been in a temple (we took the girls to the Draper Temple Open House a few months ago). All the kids loved it. It gave us an opportunity to answer their questions about ordinances, marriage, and priesthood power. I tried to get a family picture in front of the temple after the tour, but the kids wouldn't listen and Ethan got a horrible nosebleed, so that ended that. Oh well, these are the pictures I did get:







Sunday, we attended a Trek fireside put on by Jenny Phillips, a local Christian music artist. It was amazing! I am getting really excited for Trek! I know it is going to be a very spiritual and unique experience!

So that's my weekend summed up! Now it's back to the chaos of Mondays! But I can handle it because I'm still on an emotional high for not having said anything really stupid all weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment