Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't

If I'm being truly honest with myself, I have to say that some Family Home Evenings are good, and some are not so good.  We are definitely not perfect in this area.  At times, I have been known to describe Mondays as having all of the powers of Hell fighting against me and my family to have peace and harmony in my home.  Mondays and I just don't get along. Period.  I wish it were different, but, I'm trying to be honest, remember? Anyway, the last several FHEs have been sub-par for us.  It can sometimes be discouraging, but we have to keep trying, right?  Well, yesterday was one of those really great Family Home Evenings where the trying really paid off. 

It was our usual routine: start with a song, a prayer, and a scripture.  Then on to family business, where we talk about schedules and goings on.  We then have a little "training session" where I go over with the kids a chore that I think they need extra training in (this week was a brush up on vacuuming the stairs).  Then on to our lesson (nothing out of the ordinary--it was my turn and it was on the Creation.)  Kids wiggle a little and don't listen as well as maybe they should, but we all did get something out of it, and it is getting better now that they are getting older. 

Then Katie was on the activity.  We have been following "The Amazing Race" on TV this season, and we all love watching the teams go around the world and do funny things, so Katie set up a mini race of our own in the house.  We were put into teams and had to race all around the house for our next clues, detours, and road blocks.  It was a riot!  She was very creative and we had a blast!  One of the tasks was to run down the stairs in three seconds or less, if you failed to do this, you had to do it again to get your next clue.  Another task that had to be completed was where teams had to play the piano together without messing up to move on with the race.  We ran up and down the stairs and giggled the whole night.  We all celebrated our victory with brownies that Lauren made.

Like I said, some Mondays are not always great, but some end up being wonderful.  I know that we need to stick to our commitment to hold FHE every week and it will be a huge blessing to our family.  You win some, and you lose some, but overall, I think we are winning!

1 comment:

  1. Family Home Evening: The only family fight that begins and ends with a prayer.

    ReplyDelete