I have some pretty good reasons why I haven't blogged for a few weeks. Life has been pretty crazy with kids performances (seems like there are even more this year) and wrapping up my classes. Of course, getting ready for Christmas is time consuming...it takes me two days to put up all of my nativities and trees. But I've also been really busy with my new calling. The week before Thanksgiving, I was called to be the Primary President. That means I'm over all of the kids in our ward, about 145 of them! I'm very excited to work with the kids, but it is a huge job and I just hope I can juggle everything and still remain partially sane. It will be a neat adventure and a growing experience.
So, I will post some pictures of all the goings on soon, but I wanted to blog about Christmas traditions. I LOVE traditions. I think they create such great memories. Sometimes they are very time consuming to prepare for, but it's always worth it. I grew up doing so many of these and it's wonderful to pass them on to my children. I put them together in a top ten list along with our other favorites this time of year.
TOP TEN CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS:
10- Singing a Christmas song each night before family prayer.
9- Getting new PJs every Christmas Eve.
8- Putting out all of the Christmas decorations, especially my hand stitched stockings and all of my nativity scenes (I have over 100 now!).
7- Driving around and counting Christmas lights. We love Christmas Street in Salt Lake.
6- Christmas parties. We love the ward progressive dinner and the ward Christmas breakfast every year. We also look forward to the Frazier Christmas party in Oakley. But our favorite is the big Christmas Eve party at our house every year!
5- Watching Christmas movies. Our favorites are listed below.
4- Decorating gingerbread houses. It wouldn't be Christmas without this tradition!
3- Visiting Temple Square with all of their lights and Nativities.
2- Kids putting together a Christmas program. They do a wonderful job!
1- We take turns opening presents by who is GIVING instead who is GETTING. We love doing it this way because it focuses on the giver.
TOP TEN CHRISTMAS SONGS WE PLAY:
10- A Baby Changes Everything by Faith Hill
9- Joy To The World by Voice Male
8- When My Heart Finds Christmas by Harry Connick Jr.
7- Unto You This Night by Garth Brooks
6-Mary Did You Know? By Donny Osmond
5- What Child Is This? By Josh Groban
4- The Christmas Song by Nat "King" Cole
3- The Gift by Jim Brickman
2- O Holy Night by Linda Eder
1- Baby, What You Going To Be? by Natalie Sleeth
TOP FIVE CHRISTMAS MOVIES:
5- Miracle On 34th Street (the one with Richard Attenborough)
4- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the classic one, of course)
3- Nora's Christmas Gift
2- White Christmas
1- It's A Wonderful Life
Christmas is a wonderful time of year when we get to spend time with family and create wonderful memories. Can't wait to get started!!!
So, I will post some pictures of all the goings on soon, but I wanted to blog about Christmas traditions. I LOVE traditions. I think they create such great memories. Sometimes they are very time consuming to prepare for, but it's always worth it. I grew up doing so many of these and it's wonderful to pass them on to my children. I put them together in a top ten list along with our other favorites this time of year.
TOP TEN CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS:
10- Singing a Christmas song each night before family prayer.
9- Getting new PJs every Christmas Eve.
8- Putting out all of the Christmas decorations, especially my hand stitched stockings and all of my nativity scenes (I have over 100 now!).
7- Driving around and counting Christmas lights. We love Christmas Street in Salt Lake.
6- Christmas parties. We love the ward progressive dinner and the ward Christmas breakfast every year. We also look forward to the Frazier Christmas party in Oakley. But our favorite is the big Christmas Eve party at our house every year!
5- Watching Christmas movies. Our favorites are listed below.
4- Decorating gingerbread houses. It wouldn't be Christmas without this tradition!
3- Visiting Temple Square with all of their lights and Nativities.
2- Kids putting together a Christmas program. They do a wonderful job!
1- We take turns opening presents by who is GIVING instead who is GETTING. We love doing it this way because it focuses on the giver.
TOP TEN CHRISTMAS SONGS WE PLAY:
10- A Baby Changes Everything by Faith Hill
9- Joy To The World by Voice Male
8- When My Heart Finds Christmas by Harry Connick Jr.
7- Unto You This Night by Garth Brooks
6-Mary Did You Know? By Donny Osmond
5- What Child Is This? By Josh Groban
4- The Christmas Song by Nat "King" Cole
3- The Gift by Jim Brickman
2- O Holy Night by Linda Eder
1- Baby, What You Going To Be? by Natalie Sleeth
TOP FIVE CHRISTMAS MOVIES:
5- Miracle On 34th Street (the one with Richard Attenborough)
4- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the classic one, of course)
3- Nora's Christmas Gift
2- White Christmas
1- It's A Wonderful Life
Christmas is a wonderful time of year when we get to spend time with family and create wonderful memories. Can't wait to get started!!!


a--Where on earth do you put 100 nativities?
ReplyDeleteb--what one earth do you do with 145 primary kids?
First of all, I have made a HUGE mistake!!! Fortunately, my sister Denise has brought it to light so that I may correct it. I had a momentary lapse in judgement and failed to include "A Christmas Story" in my TOP FIVE FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIES. Oh the horror!! I apologize for leaving this funniest of funny movies off my list. After all, where would any of us be without 'Ol Blue?!!??!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, Nan, I display my nativities where ever I can, but I am running out of space. I need to talk to my mother in law about this problem, she gets me three or four new ones every year! As for the second question, I haven't the foggiest idea!!